Sunday, June 17, 2012

Faux Capiz Shell Chandelier

I have always admired the Capiz Shell art work, and during our trip to Las Vegas we ventured into the Cosmopolitan and I fell in love! So many large, glamorous chandeliers made of all different materials. I told myself then and there I would figure out how to make them, and after experimenting and a few web searches I began attempting my first faux chandelier!

Here's what I came up with....




Here are the items I used to create this chandelier! It is definitely a rough draft, and I plan to perfect it in the next few I make, but not bad for the starter!

1 roll wax paper - around $2.50 at Walmart for name brand
1 roll parchment paper - I started by using this as the "buns" for the "sandwich method" but it just caused me more issues than I already had going on and just simply ironed the wax paper right on the counter.


1 10" metal "coco" basket - Came with the pete moss in it but was easily removed. Cost about $2 at Walmart.
15 yards iridescent white ribbon - I started off using wayyy too much ribbon, which is why I went through so much.
1 iron
1 hot glue gun and glue sticks


Ok, you've gathered all your supplies, so let's get started! Start with ironing the wax paper. You can use as many or as little sheets of wax paper you like. I found I like 3 pieces. You can use the parchment paper if you want to use the "bun method." With the "bun method," you take one large piece of parchment paper, lay the wax paper in the middle, then put another piece of parchment paper on top, then iron. I started this way but it seemed like an unnecessary extra step. I don't have fancy counters so I wasn't worried about wrecking them, and really all that happened just ironing the wax paper without the parchment was it left a slight waxy film on the counter, which is easily wiped up with soap and water. No damage done.



Next, you cut the faux capiz shells out of the ironed wax paper. I started by using a reem of beading wire since I don't yet own a circle cutter. I traced the circles on the sheet of wax paper, but due to not being able to cut a clean circle, I decided to use the Cricut I have.



I was hesitant at first, but the Cricut worked wonders! I cut all the circles out and hung the basket and started the next step, gluing at attaching the faux shells to the basket.

Start from the bottom! This is the easiest. That way you don't have to try to get under the top ones to hang the next ones. Take a small piece of ribbon and tie it on the metal. Then put a dot of hot glue onto a faux shell and glue to the inside piece of ribbon. Let the other end hang in front of the "shell." Leaving the extra ribbon hang in the front allows it to cover up the part where you glued in the back.



Continue making your way up and around the basket. For the very bottom row, I used ribbons of four shells. For all the rest I used three. The very top alternates between ribbons of three and a ribbon with one single circle just to fill in the holes. The size of the basket and the fullness you desire will determine how many circles you need. I guess I used about 100 circles, give or take.



Done! Now time to hang it up. I decided this baby was going over the cheap light "fixture" we have in the entry way of our townhome. I detached the hanging chains, leaving the very bottom clip.

Then I marked X's around the existing light fixture as to where I was going to place the hooks. Due to this being so lightweight, I used small hooks and just screwed them into the ceiling. Once the hooks were up, Just attached the clips to the hooks and there it is!


 
Enjoy! And Until Next Time!
MrsKraftyKay : )

No comments:

Post a Comment